Monday, June 18, 2012

Beautiful Seasons

My house is so hot right now. I checked the temperature about thirty minutes ago, and it said that it was 79 degrees! Ugh.
Onto today's question. Do you prefer summer or winter?
This is just a mundane, everyday question. I just say summer and winter because adding other seasons is sort of a cop out. This lets you focus on the extremes.
Personally, I think that winter is more beautiful. Whenever I think of winter, I think of branches dark from melted ice standing out in stark contrast against the light grey clouds and white snow. I think of those branches encrusted with hundreds of frost crystals that make the black of the wet bark sparkle. I think of deep red berries that should scream "Poison!" but just add color to the black and white. I think of evergreens with needles all shades of green. Dark, normal, and minty. I think of blue hidden under a thick layer of scratched up ice. I imagine girls dressed up in pastel blues and pinks and browns and whites while linking arms or dancing around or just seeing the clouds their breath makes in the air. I can see people chasing each other and skating and sledding  just to keep themselves warm.
I love winter because there's so much contrast and sharp details. I love how during the holiday season, I can just conjure a vision of golden bells and sugar cookies and little elves and pixies dancing around in the moonlight. Okay, so that last thing isn't as much holiday related, but can't you just picture it? A perfect circle of rich green grass in the middle of glittering white. This little clearing is surrounded by black and white trees. The moon is smiling down on the celebration below. Little pixies and fairies are fluttering around in circles, picking up the tiny elves and brownies and such that want a chance to fly.
Now, that's not to say that I dislike summer. Summer has its own beauty too. It's just not as mysterious or haunting.
When I think of summer, I think of dancing with my whole soul by a pool or at the beach to a dj at sunset. I think of yelping as icy cold water touches my toe that I just dipped in. I think of laughing as my friends attack me with water. I think of sighing in relief while lying down in the shade. I think of hundreds of towels laid out on light yellow sand like hundreds of colorful banners announcing to the world that summer is here. I think of chugging down glass after glass of pink lemonade and iced apple juice (I'm an apple juice person). I think of relaxation from school, sleeping as much as I want, spending as much time as I want outside versus inside. I think of so many summer camps to go to. Those outdoorsy kinds and the nerdy kinds. I think of vacations to visit relatives and old friends and just to see new things.
I hear the shrieking laughs of little kids running around. I hear the clang of an aluminum bat hitting a baseball. I hear the splash of water and that sound of sprinklers going off steadily just for the sake of running through them.
I taste ice cream and slushies and hot dogs and cotton candy. I taste carnaval and fair food.
I think of those tiny, colorful, plastic windmills whirling around in lawns and dandelion seeds taking to the air, carrying innocent childhood wishes on their fluffy heads. I can see thousands of balloons taking to the air and tasting the glories of flight. I imagine rain pouring down in sheets with red and yellow umbrellas twirling in their midst. I can hear the raindrops bouncing off of the cement of countless small town sidewalks. I can imagine teenagers laughing and finally letting go of insecurities while dancing around, getting soaked, in the rain.
So both summer and winter has its own brand of beauty. I hope that my descriptions make it difficult to choose. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment